The E-way bill system of generating an Electronic Waybill for every transport of goods of value more than Rs 50,000 is now a mandate. GST E-Way bills need to be generated on the E-way bill portal. The GST law has provided for a mechanism of E-Way Bills generation on the EWB portal that creates an electronic document and number to be carried by the transporter of goods. The instructions on how to generate an E-way bill have been provided on the E-way bill portal.
Generation and management of E-way bills can be a daunting task for businesses that require the frequent generation of these bills. Automated solutions for generation and management are a must in such cases. Large corporate businesses generally operate using ERP systems that are tailored to the needs of the business. Hence when it comes to generation of numerous E-way bills these need to be done using applications that can sync with the existing systems. This might require connectors that can communicate with the systems and integrate with them to make the data exchange possible. This is essential to make sure that all data flows seamlessly between the ERP and the E-way Bill Management system that you choose. These should also be capable of all that can be done on the E-way bill portal e.g. report generation, generation, cancellation, rejection and printing, etc of E-way bills.
The features that one should look for in an ideal E-Way Bill solution are as below:
- Integration with systems: for a business that requires the generation of thousands of E-way bills needs an automated solution that can generate E-way bills corresponding to sales invoices. Hence an EWB Solution that integrates with the ERP systems should be an ideal solution to aid EWB generation
- E-way bill reconciliation capability: e-way bills are prepared based on the invoices of the goods to be transported and these need to be reconciled with the e-way bills. This is essential to avoid any missed e-way bills or identify any fake invoices that are not backed by e-way bills. Hence a solution that can reconcile invoices both outward and inward with e-way bills proves useful.
- Capability to manage e-way bills: an e-way bill solution must be capable of all the functions that the e-way bill portal provides like single e-way bill generation, consolidated e-way bill generation, tracking, updating, printing, canceling and rejecting e-way bills. This will make sure that it is a one-stop solution for entire e-way bill management.
- Report generation: one that generates multiple reports for e-way bills to review and manage e-way bills
- Mobile App: A solution that is also available on a mobile app is a definite plus since it will enable users to generate e-way bills on the go using the app and also make sure that they update the bills as and when required using this app.
Apart from this, you may also look for capabilities like a separate solution for transporters inbuilt in the application. Capability to send email and SMS and more.
Eventually, the E-Way bill management system must be replete with all such features that automate the generation, updates, cancellation, and rejection of e-way bills. The system will eventually be replaced by e-invoices that are soon to be launched in the month of January 2020. However, until then we all must abide by the existing rules and comply with the requirements of the GST E-way bill system.